You will know that you are not living authentically when you have a need to please or impress other people, feel worried, confused, irritable, disheartened, depressed, powerless, or angry. You will also tend to hide your true feelings. But…These negative feelings are also trying to tell you something. They are the red flags that something is VERY wrong with your life and something needs to change!
When you are living your authentic or “true” self you are happier. You are honest and open minded and very aware of your feelings. You take full responsibility for your life, but you are still open to asking for help if you need it.
Change is never easy and while it may seem less stressful and safer to stay in your comfort zone, finding the strength and courage to be your true self, will help you realize what is truly possible for your life and help you find real fulfillment and inner peace. Living authentically means that you are able to stand in your own truth no matter what! Once you make the intention to discover your authentic self, the real you will start to surface little by little. There are however a few practices that you can easily implement into your daily life to help you live with more awareness, such as:
• Start a daily journal, keep track of your thoughts feelings and fears
• Take some time daily to spend time in nature
• Set some small goals with deadlines and hold yourself accountable
• Meditate for at least 20 minutes a day
• Stop being a yes man/woman. If you truly don’t want to do something, say NO and mean it!
• Learn to identify your inner voice, who is really speaking to you. is it your higher self or someone else?
• Learn to let go If something no longer serves you, let it go
• Slow down and really savour each moment
• Read or listen to something positive and beneficial before you drift off to sleep each night
• Simplify and de-clutter your life
When you start living your life authentically you will find you are able to, express yourself freely, discover your true passions and share your talents with others. Finding your true self is not something that will happen overnight. It will take self awareness, a lot of honesty and a bit of patience.